Monday, June 9, 2014

EUROPE DAY 13: NUREMBERG

We took the high-speed train to Nuremberg--173 mph and very smooth and quiet. We got first class tickets so we rode in splendid comfort and had an attendant that sold cappuccinos and cookies. Very civilized although trying to handle our 2 suitcases and a tote bag each was a bit difficult, especially when we were getting off the train and they started closing the train doors on me before I had gotten everything off the train. I stubbornly blocked the door until we had everything down on the platform. Whew.

Spent the afternoon wandering around the old part of the city and had a fabulous lunch of authentic Franconian (or Frankish, if you prefer that name) food--clearly we are out of Bavaria. We had spargel salat (asparagus salad which was 4 spears of jumbo, fat, white asparagus, marinated in vinegar and sugar), and a plate of small, thin sausages that they are famous for, grilled on an open fire. All washed down with beer, of course. Because lunch was so good, we dared to try the apple strudel and it was fab also.

And now for confession time.....I had to buy an extra, collapsible piece of luggage because I can't fit my purchases in my suitcases anymore. I'm not buying tons of stuff, honestly, it's just that I started out with almost zero room for shopping. Oh well, enough said.

The weather is balmy--it doesn't get dark until after 10:00 PM, so eating dinner at an outdoor cafe and people watching was great. Come to think of it, I think all our lunches and dinners except 1 have been at outdoor cafés. It is a lovely way to dine. I also really like the European way of paying. The waiter brings you the bill, you hand him money or a credit card and tell them what you are paying. For example, if the bill is 13.50, you might hand him a 20 Euro note and say "15"  (tipping is different from the USA rules). He says thank you and hands you the change right away. It feels more direct than leaving money on the table like at home. Oh, and dinner tonight was some of the best Italian food I've had in a long time. 

Things on the menu that make me wonder why--beer mixed with coke and beer mixed with orange soda. Ewwwww.  

No comments:

Post a Comment