Sunday, October 9, 2011

SAFARI – DAY 10 (Livingstone, Zambia; Thorntree Lodge)

 
The water was low at Victoria Falls because it is towards the end of the dry season but it was still spectacular.  BUT we had to walk a trail to get there and I nearly died from the heat.  I had my hat on and was fanning myself and had a water soaked bandana around my neck and was drinking water like mad.  Ended up pouring water on my hair and that helped.  
My sister and I have taken the whole afternoon off while others are horseback riding and microlight riding over the falls.  We're going on an elephant ride early tomorrow morning then we're all off to the next lodge.  
The group went into town to the Livingstone museum and the markets.  The "historic" building in town is dated 1949, which makes everyone in the group prehistoric.
Watching hippos cavort and snort on the river directly in front of our chalet.  Just went to pee and there was a large frog in the toilet but it went back down the pipes.  Now we are very iffy about peeing in the middle of the night.  My skin is so dry it feels like lizard leather.  Today is the hottest yet -- heard that it peaked at 100 F.  Everywhere we drive we see elephants and zebra and impala -- it's just normal here.  I find that constantly amazing.
OK, we now have a resident frog in the toilet.  (Spider in the previous lodge, frog in this one – what can be next?)  It’s not just a tiny frog but a fairly good sized frog.  We keep the lid down and use a plastic hanger to knock on the lid before opening it.  I usually hear a little plop and then I know the frog has gone somewhere and it's safe to pee.  Ya just never know what you'll encounter when traveling.
Saw the southern cross constellation last night.  There are so few lights at night that the sky really has a zillion stars and the milky way really is a milky streak across most of the sky.  And yes, water in the washbasin really does swirl counter clockwise as it drains – I checked.
Brought too many clothes because I assumed that I would change clothes everyday like at home.  But we’re actually in a kind of camping mode.  I wear the same shirt 3-4 days in a row and the same pants 4-5 days, and nothing is really smelly because it dries so fast.  Did not need the athletic shoes that I brought – I only needed comfortable walking shoes.
Brought far too many toiletries because the lodges supply most of the basics (even the mobile tent camp gave us hand soap and shampoo).
So far, every camp and lodge comes with two spray cans (and I just love the names):
·        Doom, which kills bugs
·        Peaceful Sleep, which is an insect repellent you spray on yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment